Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Where has the summer went

I know that I am bad, I haven't gone this long without blogging in a while. I try to blog everyday but it has just been too hard lately. We have had several school groups come in for workshops. I actually even did a program at Delhi Elementary School last week which was amazing. The teacher is amazing. The kids knew more about Raptors and wildlife than most of the older audiences that I work with. Education is one of the most important things that I can do to get our message out there. I deal with dozens of phone calls a week with folks that want to help animals that really don't need it. It is so hard to convince people that it is better to leave the baby rabbits in the nest than to pick them up and bring them in the house....

"Orphan Season" has slowed down a lot, finally. We are no longer getting several animals a day that we are working on. The past week has been interesting. Seems like every animal that has come in has been covered in maggots. I know that everything has a purpose but I really am getting sick of maggots. I have had 2 coons, a fawn, a porcupine and a baby robin come in this past week all covered.... All had their individual reasons and issues, all had unhappy endings. It is a combination of wounds, bad weather and hungry flies. It is really gross.

Our Workforce Solutions kids continue to do a great job. They are only here officially for another week. I don't think that we are going to finish the lower pasture but we are going to try. There is just so much wood, debris and stone down there. I've been working on that pasture for 10 years. I really don't know how the old-timers did it with nothing but an axe.

I will try to be more upbeat and interesting next time.
Wes

No comments: