Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Ground Hog Day

      Another 6 weeks of winter, I think that I can handle that Phil.....now get back in your log and go back to sleep.  I couldn't sleep again last night. One of my many problems is that I think too much.  I wanted to start this blog with my condolences to the Burton family on the death of one of the two kittens that they adopted from us at Xmas time.  The little guy was a mess between ear mites and respirtory problems....many trips to the vet, I am really sorry that you (and your kids) had to go through that heartbreak and expense.  I really try to do the right thing. It was right to get all of those kittens into new loving homes.  I am so tired of so many things..... so many people, so many problems and so much animal abuse.....  I know I can't save the world but I can change the world for one animal at a time.  I have four favorite quotes on my desk at school.

     "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Churchill
   "Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little" Burke
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind " Seuss
     " You can judge a nation by the way it treats its animals" Gandhi

    So many people want so many things.....I dont.    When all is said and done and they kick me in a hole, I want the world to have been a better place because I was in it.   If more people tried to make a difference, the world could be a much better place.  It isnt always about you. What have you done to make the world a better place lately? Volunteer for a community group or walk dogs at the local shelter? Help a kid get a winter jacket?  Save an unwanted pet?  I will get off my soap box, I am only one guy.....and one guy can make a difference.   Donating time or money does make a difference.

    Speaking of making a difference, I have to share what our science teacher Mrs. Burgett at MCS is doing with her students. She has started a Kestrel Nesting Box Project with her Environmental Ed students......  What she is doing is amazing and I will post her press release to the blog later today.   She has so many people involved in this project and it is so worthwhile.  The Kestrel Falcon has decreased drastically in numbers over the last couple of decades due in large part to loss of nesting sites.  With her students and students at Schoharie VOTEC, they are distributing Kestrel Nestboxes to anyone that wants to put one up for $20-.  That is very cheap and all profits after expenses are being invested right back into making more boxes which will be hung around the MCS property and where I have seen Kestrels locally.   They have built, sold and hung over 50 boxes already. I am really impressed by what they are doing and have bought several boxes to support the project. Great time of year to buy and hang a box since Kestrels will be returning from Central America soon and will be looking for nesting sites. Email me at Laraway@midtel.net if you would like to buy a box to get hung up this month.  I love this project.

     We have also already started to book a lot of events for 2013 already. Gayle and I will try to get the events page on our website updated on a regular basis so you can see where we will be doing Wildlife Alive Programs.  I also want everyone to take a look at our 2013 Donors page of the website.  Hopefully your name is on that list, these are the people that we could not continue without.    I have so many great plans, all it takes is a dollar and a dream.   Ill be back later with more info on the Kestrel project, WES

No comments: