Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Busy Weekends

Besides for the hundreds of animals that we save at NY Wildlife Rescue Center every year, we also have an important duty to educate the public about what we do and the preservation and the conservation of wildlife. If you look at the "Upcoming Events" section of our website, you will see that we are often on the road getting our message on our mission out to the public.
This past sat. we attended the Wildlife Festival at the New York Power Authority. We have been attending this event for close to 20 years. The day was perfect, the crowd was huge as always. Bruce Bartels, one of our SUNY COBY volunteers helped man the display. Gayle was on hand to sell autographed copies of her book. We had a great day as always and a large crowd was at our display all day.
Sunday, I had a rare day at our facility on a weekend. Several of our volunteers and I got the deer moved up into soft release on our property. We got the Oppossum that came in last night better set up. We moved a bunch of coons into a larger cage to get them better conditioned for release. It was a really productive day until the cold that I have been fighting off knocked me on my butt. The dozen or so volunteers that were at the farm by mid afternoon went down below in the pasture to cut wood and clear brush while I got horizontal on the sofa. Taking a nap is impossible usually at our place, between the phone, volunteers and the intake of animals. It is easier to work the fever out of yourself by sweating while working.:) I was in bed by 9 pm which is rare for me.
Monday, I was a presenter at the Schoharie County Youth Bureau's Youth Conference. Almost every 7th grader in the County attends and they have sessions on "Healthy Hobbies" that they can attend classes on. There are around a dozen different presenters that talk about what they do and try to get kids thinking about something other than playing video games as a hobby. Was a great day, the kids love the animals but being outside in the cold and rain didnt help my cold much....

This weekend, on sat I will be presenting a class at the NYS Humane Society Conference. On sunday, I will have our display at the Schenectady Green Market. It is a busy fall, I would love to see you all at one of the various events that we attend. Till next time, WES

No comments: