Thursday, January 9, 2014

2014 Looking Forward

    It is easy to reflect on 2013. What went well, what didn't...what we wish that we could change. I am glad that 2013 is over. I like looking ahead to what needs to be done, not what has been accomplished.   Gayle and I have been working hard to update the website, calendar of events, end of the year paperwork, etc.  I want to thank everyone that donated to "our" mission in 2013, I should have the donors page updated soon.   We could not continue to do what we do without support from friends like you.   Every year we grow and we rarely say no to an animal in need.

     Last night Jan 8th, I did a program for the Cobleskill Boy Scouts  (Troop 56 I think). It was also a night that Webelos were visiting the troop.   One of their Scouts, Nick Rehberg, just completed his Eagle Scout Project.  For his Eagle Scout Project, he coordinated and built 32 Barn Owl boxes with his fellow scouts, family and friends.  The project was awesome (and I don't give many compliments).   I was really impressed by Nick and the huge amount of work that he put into this project.

I have nearly 20 nesting boxes that I brought home with me for installation before nesting season. I have several great sites for nesting box installations already planned.   I will also have a few nesting boxes left over that I will be looking for an old barn with a good location to attract some owls.  Please let me know if you have a good site for a nesting box.  I am even going to offer a $50 Gift Certificate to Hubies Restaurant for the person that gets barn owls in their nesting box first!

The scouts were awesome and I enjoyed sharing my love of wildlife preservation and conservation with them. I am an eagle scout and I look forward to seeing Nick achieve this great milestone. Hopefully "we" can inspire other people to continue to expand on the "build a bird house" program. I have a packet of blueprints for various nesting boxes. I like bluebird, kestrel and owl boxes equally.  Let me know if you are a bird house builder; I'll send you a packet.  (I will try to figure out how to get some of the photos off of our facebook page from this project and) I will get them on this blog so you can see how great this project was. Great job Nick. (Pictures added below! Enjoy!)

     2014: There are people that talk about making the world a better place and/or people that do something about making the world a better place. I would rather do something than talk about it.   Make it your resolution to get involved this year.  Everyone has something to contribute!  Think warm thoughts, it is cold enough.






No comments: